Vegetable Oils and Fats Producer AAK to Acquire Soya International

Soya International is focused on the processing, distribution, and sourcing of non-GMO semi-specialty and specialty lecithins.

Europe-based AAK has purchased 80% of UK-based international food ingredient supplier Soya International. While remaining 20 % of the Soya International is expected to acquire within the next two to five years. This acquisition is to extend AAK’s product portfolio, which is complex to many of its customers. Soya International is focused on the processing, distribution, and sourcing of non-GMO specialty and semi-specialty lecithins. Lecithin is a secondary product derived from the treatment of vegetable oils and it is a natural emulsifier. The company will trade under the new name AAK Soya International.

While commenting on the acquisition, CEO and President of AAK Johan Westman said, “Lecithin is an important element for several customers under our core segments including dairy, chocolate and confectionery, fats and bakery, personal care, and special nutrition.”

AAK Soya International offers a variety of products in different lecithins forms such as powdered lecithins, liquid lecithins, and organic lecithins. The acquisition has no major effect on the earnings of AAK, report the company. AAK Soya International provides specialty solutions made for bakery, chocolate, infant nutrition, confectionery, and dairy applications. Lecithin is a natural emulsifier derived from vegetable oils like sunflower, rapeseed, and sunflower.

Marco Oomen, AAK’s Global Business Director Chocolate and Confectionery Fats said, “Our objective is to be one of the best non-GMO lecithin suppliers in the world with a focus on value-adding specialty products. The formation of AAK Soya International provides us a key foothold in this and is an ideal strategic solution for AAK’s specialty portfolio of Oils & Fats.”

Products of Soya International are presently available in more than 40 countries and will go on further because of the global sales network of AAK. As per the Soya International, lecithin has multiple health advantages like improving metabolism and liver function. After the acquisition, there will be no modification to present lecithin supply arrangements for existing customers.